#1 July 28, 2013 11:50:00

avalanche
Profile   Send e-mail  

Is Solar PV really “Green”?

Hi,

Many often wonder if Solar PV represents a truly “green” technology when the manufacturing process is taken into account. Here, the Department for Energy and Climate Change attempt to answer that question.

Is Solar really “Green”

It is based on averages for convenience, however he uses a figure of 12% panel efficiency, which may be considered conservative by some. Interesting nonetheless.

Regards,

Avalanche

Edited avalanche (July 28, 2013 11:50:00)

#2 July 30, 2013 08:45:00

veryoldyork
Profile   Send e-mail  

Thank you Avalanche for contributing that link.

Obviously every body piles in to contribute to the debate but overall I am more comfortable with the technology long term and my contribution to reducing carbon consumption.

VOY

Edited veryoldyork (July 30, 2013 08:45:00)

#3 July 30, 2013 19:38:00

avalanche
Profile   Send e-mail  

VOY, 

Yes, it’s an interesting debate and not one that we will reasonably get to the bottom of accurately in the near future.  As a colleague rightly mentioned to me today,  the EYR needs to be measured against the EYR of the grid infrastructure, primarily.  So there are two tiers of comparison, at least; one for the manufacture of the PV system and one for the grid infrastructure.  These will continue to improve even further in favour of Solar, I’m sure. 

Either way, I wholeheartedly agree with you that it is the environmental benefits that we should focus on.  

Personally, I would like to see all “new builds”  have solar technology inbuilt which I’m sure with economy of scale will reduce overall costs even further and have a secondary effect of making retro fit cheaper too.  This would allow us to reach that all important critical mass of solar installations that would guide us, inexorably, on the journey to a truly sustainable future.  

Regards, 

Avalanche

Edited avalanche (July 30, 2013 19:38:00)

Board footer

Moderator control