#1 July 1, 2014 21:04:00

Profile   Send e-mail  

Solar iBoost Working Range

I had a solar installation done about 10 days ago which included an iBoost. 

Although I've been able to switch off the water heating side of my ch system (there's only 2 of us and we only really use hot water for morning showers) and there's a full tank of hot water in the morning, invariably when I walk past the iBoost unit the red light's illuminated telling me it's lost contact with the sender unit.

Our main fuse board and therefore the iBoost sender unit is downstairs and a long way away from the iBoost unit in the upstairs cupboard housing our ch boiler and hot water tank. I would guess the distance is less than 30m (iBoost stated inside working distance)but there are 4 interior doors between the sender unit and the iBoost as well as a ceiling so it's all likely to be on the working limit.

Ideally, I'd like to move the sender unit a lot closer to the iBoost unit. I think there's a small jack plug at the end of the clamp cable that connects into the sender unit. Is it possible to get hold of a long extension cable with a female connector on one end and a small male jack on the other end to do this????

Edited default (July 1, 2014 21:04:00)

#2 July 2, 2014 12:18:00

SteveRogers
Profile   Send e-mail  

Why don't you email Marlec directly and ask.  They were very helpful for me.

I'd be a bit concerned about extending the cable too far as the sender is battery driven.

Steve

URN 215 North Yorkshire 3.96 kWp, S facing, 40 deg tilt, minor shading

Edited SteveRogers (July 2, 2014 12:18:00)

#3 July 2, 2014 14:06:00

Profile   Send e-mail  

Worth a try

Edited default (July 2, 2014 14:06:00)

#4 July 2, 2014 16:14:00

Profile   Send e-mail  

Had a very prompt reply from them which is as follows:-

''It sounds as if it is on the limit of its range. We say up to 30m indoors. This varies considerably from house to house depending upon construction type and local equipment causing interferance.

Last week we took our first delivery of 4m extension cables to do exactly as you suggest. These are available at a cost of £14.16 + £5.00 carriage, + VAT.

We would not recommend an overall length of more than 5m as it may lose accuracy due to it relying on an induced current.

We would suggest you try moving the sender to your prefered new position before purchasing to ensure it will suffice''.

Moving the sender unit 4m nearer to the iBoost will put it in the middle of our lounge wall so hardly ideal but I will give it a trial. If this cures the ‘lost connection’ issue I will have to go down the extension route but £14.16 + VAT + Carriage of £5 + VAT seems a huge amount of money for a 4m extension (I've just bought a load of 25m cat 5e patch cables at £1.95p each delivered which puts the price into perspective!!)

Edited default (July 2, 2014 16:14:00)

#5 July 4, 2014 15:10:00

TerFar
Profile   Send e-mail  

I'd also suggest that if you have other wireless devices in the house that there may be interference. So you may find that if you change the channel of one (or more) of the devices, it may resolve the problem.

Also, presuming that your meter unit where the sensor is located is in  the meter cupboard, just reloacting the unit outside the cupboard may resolve the issue.

If the worse comes to the worse, you may have to rewire. In the airing cupboard, reconnect the immersion heater back to its original power switch as before (without any timer).

Get the electrician to relocate the iBoost in the meter cupboard. He will have to remove the immersion heater cable from the fuse panel and connect it to the iBoost output. The iBoost will then need to be connected to the immersion heater supply point in the fuse panel via a double pole breaker switch.

Fortunately, we didn't have a problem with our iBoost and it is currently keeping our tank full of piping hot water every day!

Edited TerFar (July 4, 2014 15:10:00)

#6 July 5, 2014 17:47:00

Profile   Send e-mail  

Firstly a correction to my earlier post which mentioned that a 4m extension cable was available foor the iBoost sender unit - the company initially said that it was 4m but then emailed me again and said that it was 5m.

I've temporarily moved my sender unit so that it's now approx 1m closer to the iBoost unit and this appears to have improved communication. I'll keep monitoring it but it may be that getting the 5m extension cable will resolve the problem. It will at least mean that I can site the sender in an inconspicuous location on a passageway wall rather than where I've temporarily moved it to (resting on the top of a picture on the lounge wall!).

Regarding Wi-Fi channel - yes, I could ask the iBoost people which channel it uses and change the channels of my broadband Wi-Fi and range extender.

I didn't have an immersion heater at all until the iBoost was installed so there's no original wiring circuit for it. However, I'm pretty confident that my solar installation electrician will move the iBoost system if the extension cable route doesn't work

Thanks for the advice

Edited default (July 5, 2014 17:47:00)

Board footer

Moderator control