#1 Oct. 11, 2015 08:15:25

Abbiecat
Profile   Send e-mail  

Pigeons nesting under my p.v. array

just another update re pigeon problem - the rolled up chicken wire seems to have done the trick.

#2 Oct. 13, 2015 10:56:40

alverlin
Profile   Send e-mail  

I get wagtails nesting under mine every year, dont seem to do any harm.

#3 Oct. 14, 2015 08:34:58

Thackie
Profile   Send e-mail  

Likewise we have had two sets of pied wagtails nest under the panels right from the start and do not seem to have any problems.
Also house sparrows use them as a roost during the cold months.
We will get a better idea if there is any damage later this month as we need to remove some panels to do roof maintenance.

#4 June 1, 2016 13:26:36

DirectSolarCare
Profile   Send e-mail  

Afternoon all, we are a pest control company that has become experts dealing with pigeons and squirrels nesting in Solar Panels. they can and do cause a lot of damage. if anyone wants free advice from a qualified pest controller have a a look at our website www.directsolarcare.co.uk

#5 June 2, 2016 21:05:59

Species8472
Profile   Send e-mail  

I've tried to tackle this problem in many ways. An expensive installation of spikes just got torn up, and was eventually sent ground wards, by an array of pigeons that, one after another, succeeded in overcoming my defences very quickly. Not wanting to waste further hundreds of pounds on ventures that don't stand the test of time, I spent a lot of time searching my brains archives for a novel solution. How amused I was when solution turned out to be the operative word, for my solution ended up being a solution in more ways than one.

I decided to pour sodium hypochlorite out of the attic window, just above the solar panels. I then washed this household bleach, as it is otherwise known, washing it down under the panels with vinegar. If you haven't worked this out yet, these two solutions, when they mix together, produce chlorine gas. If the pigeons don't have the sense to fly away very quickly, they die; but they did fly away very very quick indeed, within less than a minute of having added the vinegar

The added bonus to this is that the chlorine gas should also address my primary concern which isn't actually the pigeons at all, but is in fact the mites they carry; for these little devils can find their way through the tiniest of crevices, such that they literally can walk through walls. I should know, it took me a few months of sleepless nights, to finally realise the cause of my sleepless nights. For months I would awake every night to find my legs and arms torn up and bleeding, having scratched the hell out of them while asleep. It was only once their daily feasts on me had caused their numbers to reach plague levels, that I started to take notice of these tiny little biters. They are barely 0.5mm in length and so go easily unnoticed at first. At first you think to yourself; hmm what are these three tiny things crawling on my mobile phone, which I left charging on my bedside table. Eventually, after months have gone by, you can't help but make the connection between; the more of these you see, the more bites you seem to wake up with.

So many people don't seem to realise that this can happen, and, as a doctor myself, it wouldn't surprise me at all if most GPs wouldn't be able to correctly diagnose the cause of the skin problem. So I hope this post reaches anyone who is going through this same problem, as it will enable them to resolve it once they know the cause.

Board footer

Moderator control