#1 Aug. 2, 2016 17:35:28

BackYardSolar
Profile   Send e-mail  

25% more Output from Inverter Rewiring, Too Good to be True ?

Hi All.

I have had a SolalarEdge SE4000 inverter and 16 power optimisers since December 2011 and I can tell you that I have had three optimiser failures since then and each failure has shut down all generation.

The first time was a month in May 2012 when two optimisers failed and the second was six weeks in May & June 2014 when another optimiser failed. The lost generation at that time of year is more than any 25% extra can put back.

If it sounds to good to be true???

SolarEdge SE4000 inverter, 16 x Romag powerglaz 235W panels. South facing at 30 degree angle in Surrey just East of Gatwick and under the flight path.

ESS AC coupled system using a Victron Multiplus 24V/1600VA Inverter/Charger - 8.16kW Trojan 875 battery bank.

Edited BackYardSolar (Aug. 2, 2016 17:43:22)

#2 Aug. 31, 2016 19:18:39

TerFar
Profile   Send e-mail  

guava090
I have a solaredge with all the alleged system facing due south down south in Hampshire. with no shading,URN221 have a look is it generating 25% more than you? If not there is your answer.DE666L.

Just compared yours to mine (6761 near Chichester) and it tracks yours quite closely, sometimes up, sometimes down as would be expected. So it looks like an exaggeration.

#3 Nov. 7, 2017 17:15:57

vince31
Profile   Send e-mail  

The answer is quite simple……. if you have shading on some of your panels for all or some of the time, then the shading drags down the efficiency of all your panels, even though only one panel may be shaded. With the revised installation they are offering the shading will only affect the one shaded panel, or the number of panels that are connected in series to the same micro inverter, rather than all of your panels as at present. If you have no shading on any of your panels, or shading occurs momentarily or for a short time, then there's very little or no difference other than the 1 or 2%better optimisation provided by the micro inverters.

I think the clue is in “up to 25%”, which theoretically could be true as described above.

Board footer

Moderator control