#1 Aug. 1, 2017 10:02:13

rnamalundu
Profile   Send e-mail  

Smart meter readings

I have recently had a smart meter fitted and suddenly my electricity reading has shot up, almost 4 times the previous daily average. I suspect that the Smart meter is including some of my PV generation in the readings. Can any one shed any light on this?

#2 Aug. 1, 2017 11:29:09

Rick M
Profile   Send e-mail  

Smart meter readings

Hi rnamalundu,

Can you post details of the electricity supplier through whom you had your smart meter installed and any details of the model.

A neighbour of mine had an old dumb meter that counted her solar generation as if it were imported electricity, but I imagined that smart meters would be OK since they have appeared since solar pv took off. I checked with my supplier (Robin Hood Energy) and they replied that their smart meters were compatible with solar pv. I am waiting for second generation smart meters to become available before requesting one because they should continue to be smart when switching suppliers, but in the meantime I am collecting daily import and generation readings so that I have a pre-smart baseline to compare against the smart readings.

You write “almost 4 times the previous daily average”. Are you taking daily readings at dusk from both generation meter & import meter to see if the apparent kWh imported is distinctly higher on days when there is reasonable generation? I would write to your supplier with any evidence, so that you have a record you can rely on later. ( My neighbour got £250 compensation from her pv installer who had failed to check her dumb meter was compatible with pv.)

#3 Aug. 1, 2017 11:55:53

Rick M
Profile   Send e-mail  

Smart meter readings

http://www.smicop.co.uk/SitePages/Home.aspx might be a help in dealing with your supplier (found via search of gov.uk)

#4 Aug. 1, 2017 14:40:40

rnamalundu
Profile   Send e-mail  

Smart meter readings

My supplier is Scottish Power and they are suggesting that the old traditional meter was under recording. In the days leading up to having the Smart meter fitted I used an average of between 3.3 and 5.5 kW per day in the days after Smart meter fitted the consumption rose to an average of 11.8 per day and 5.5 per day during a two week holiday away from home. Scottish power are insisting that the smart meter is fully compatible with solar panels and that the readings are correct but the people I have spoken to admit that they are not solar experts. Could do with some expert advice to put before my supplier about the compatibility of smart meters with solar PVs

#5 Aug. 7, 2017 11:45:42

mfsrbesuvcag
Profile   Send e-mail  

Smart meter readings

Not sure if this is helpful but a known list of suspect meters that don't work with microgeneration:
https://www.meteroperators.org.uk/images/FAQ_and_Stakeholder_Info/Reverse_running_update_20141125.pdf
(See the last page of that document).

And another long but potentially useful document:
https://www.meteroperators.org.uk/images/FAQ_and_Stakeholder_Info/Reverse_running_meters_20130820.pdf

It might be worth taking hourly readings from your smart meter and tallying it with readings from your inverter (or just looking at the sunshine) to see if the smart meter is counting upwards during periods of high sunshine?

Edited mfsrbesuvcag (Aug. 7, 2017 11:46:51)

#6 Sept. 6, 2017 10:12:22

martint123
Profile   Send e-mail  

Smart meter readings

Was your previous meter an old spinning disc one that read backwards when exporting? Quite a few were and a smart meter will not.

Board footer

Moderator control