#1 May 15, 2014 12:27:00

Paul
Profile   Send e-mail  

Solar PV iBoost installation

I have two independent hot water tanks each with an immersion heater.  I am looking at iBoost but the installation manual for is not clear if the wiring of a second heater will use surplus power.  Does anyone have the iBoost in a similar set up?  Any information would be appreciated.  Thanks Paul

Edited Paul (May 15, 2014 12:27:00)

#2 May 15, 2014 20:06:00

SteveRogers
Profile   Send e-mail  

I suggest you enquire at Marlec but I don't think it's good news …

The manual does not say a lot but the wiring diagram indicates that the first connection receives all the diverted solar energy whereas the second connection receives a timed or manual boost (i.e. not diverted solar energy).

I guess if the first immersion was at the thermostat temperature and there was sufficient solar energy then you'd be using that.  However, it's not how I expected the iBoost to behave and not a lot of use (unless you are paranoid about Legionella ).  Rather scuppers my idea of installing a second immersion at the bottom of the tank to ensure a full tank of hot water.

I guess I'll have to consider a pumped circulation system.  Anyone know of a commercial unit?  Yesterday evening, after a rather physical day I had a bath at 9pm and used all the hot water despite 4.3 kWh having diverted.

You might want to consider the Intelligent Immersion i2 which has received good comments elsewhere in this forum.  There's an enhanced version which diverts to a second immersion once the first is up to temperature.

Steve

URN 215 North Yorkshire 3.96 kWp, S facing, 40 deg tilt, minor shading

Edited SteveRogers (May 15, 2014 20:06:00)

#3 May 16, 2014 08:10:00

Paul
Profile   Send e-mail  

Thanks Steve.  I contacted Marlec shortly after my post.  You are correct the first terminal takes all the dieverted power and the second is for boost only.  I also contacted a couple of retailers who told me it would do what I wanted; a message here, beware of someone wanting to sell you something!

I'll have a look at the Intelligent Immersion i2.  I'm also going to investigate some sort of switching to divert the power once one tank is fully heated.  An old friend of mine is an electronic engineer.

Bye the way, the two tanks are small, due to space reatrictions.

Paul

Edited Paul (May 16, 2014 08:10:00)

#4 May 17, 2014 19:21:00

avalanche
Profile   Send e-mail  

Hi Paul,

Try the Immersun. It does everything you want it to and more. Had mine installed recently and sings like a baby! You can divert and prioritise 2nd and 3rd outputs. You get what you pay for I've found.

Regards, Avalanche

Edited avalanche (May 17, 2014 19:21:00)

#5 May 28, 2014 16:19:00

Paul
Profile   Send e-mail  

I installed the enhanced I2 Intelligent Immersion with the inbuilt relay to feed a second laod once the first is fully satisfied.  It is working like a dream fulfilling my precise requirements.  By the way the support by Edward at I2 is exceptionally good.  I recommend the product without hesitation.

Thanks for the recommendation Steve.

Edited Paul (May 28, 2014 16:19:00)

Board footer

Moderator control