#1 Dec. 4, 2015 06:16:03

rogerhoward
Profile   E-mail  

DC Circuits in the Home

Do any of our technical types have a critical view of this
www.bsria.co.uk ‘DC Power; Potential Applications’ publication?

Economy 10 tariff provides 6.9p/kWh off-peak import between 12am-5am, 1pm-4pm and 8pm-10pm; http://www.pvoutput.org/aggregate.jsp?id=21047&sid=18934&v=2&t=m on approx. 63% off-peak usage, 22% solar usage, and 15% peak-rate usage.
1,900kWh annually is exported, mostly in summer, on approx. 3,200kWh generation. Approx. 4,500kWh/year is imported, mostly for (a) winter and springtime off-peak Storage Heaters, and (b) off-peak hot water Immersion heating (which is “dumb”, i.e. not linked to the solar PV).
PV array is split East-West. Income is from Phase II 21p/kWh Feed-in-Tariff plus smart metered 3.2p/kWh Export Tariff.

Attachments:
attachment BSRIA DC Power - Potential Applications.pdf (706.0 KB)

#2 Dec. 4, 2015 09:42:31

bhommels
Profile   Send e-mail  

DC Circuits in the Home

Hi Roger,
I think the BSRIA report paints a fair picture of the use of DC circuits. As they acknowledge, it makes a lot of sense in low-power environments where (one of the) power sources is DC to begin with, and/or batteries are used to carry over the times when the DC generator is not active. I have seen it in quite a few mountain refuges that rely on small solar/hydro power sources coupled with battery systems to provide lighting etc in the evening/early morning. Ideal case really, as they shut in winter anyway.

#3 Feb. 21, 2016 09:01:55

rogerhoward
Profile   E-mail  

DC Circuits in the Home

Capetown
Do you recon they will get that one past the regulator pnews?
Why wouldn't they?
Even excluding the modest British Gas standing charges, last year I would have in fact been £17/year better off on the British Gas Saver tariff, and £29 better off on the British Gas Saver3 tariff. What's wrong with that?
(But is Centrica “British” as touted?)
Because this subject needs to show up better on the list of Forum Threads, I'll now continue this on the already separated thread if you don't mind! See http://www.microgen-database.org.uk/forum/topic/146

Economy 10 tariff provides 6.9p/kWh off-peak import between 12am-5am, 1pm-4pm and 8pm-10pm; http://www.pvoutput.org/aggregate.jsp?id=21047&sid=18934&v=2&t=m on approx. 63% off-peak usage, 22% solar usage, and 15% peak-rate usage.
1,900kWh annually is exported, mostly in summer, on approx. 3,200kWh generation. Approx. 4,500kWh/year is imported, mostly for (a) winter and springtime off-peak Storage Heaters, and (b) off-peak hot water Immersion heating (which is “dumb”, i.e. not linked to the solar PV).
PV array is split East-West. Income is from Phase II 21p/kWh Feed-in-Tariff plus smart metered 3.2p/kWh Export Tariff.

Edited rogerhoward (Feb. 21, 2016 09:03:38)

Board footer

Moderator control