#1 May 14, 2014 14:08:00

bhommels
Profile   Send e-mail  

Data submission date

Hi Jamie Co,

As I often find the site unaccessible on the last/first day of the month, probably due to heavy traffic, I usually upload my data a bit later. This month I took a few days to submit last months readings, and now the map does not show any data (serves me right!)

Now I am curious as to what will happen to my submitted readings. Will they be processed next month, and appear in the maps, or have I missed this month's boat forever? Is there a fixed cut-off date/time when the data has to be in to be considered? Should there be?

Regards, Bart

Edited bhommels (May 14, 2014 14:08:00)

#2 May 14, 2014 15:11:00

Jamie
Profile   Send e-mail  

Data submission date

Hi Bart,

Sorry to hear about the access issues, it is the case that traffic increases signifiacntly at the end of each month when we send the reminder so the site slows down a little. I'll have a word with the team but I suspect the only way we could avert this is to increase the spec of the web and database server - the budget may not stretch.

I tend to run the analysis as soon as the MIDAS data is made available by the Met Office, which is generally in the second week of the month. I then re-run the analysis every week or so. Each time I re-run the analysis, I tend to re-analyse at least the last 13 months of data - In other words, if you miss the first you'll still be included by the next run and so on.

You can also email me at solarfarm.sheffield.ac.uk and ask me to re-run the analysis for your system alone, which i'll gladly do as soon as I read the email since this only takes a matter of seconds/minutes - I've just re-run for your system

Kind Regards

Jamie (SSF Team)

Jamie Taylor (Sheffield Solar Team)

Edited Jamie (May 14, 2014 15:11:00)

#3 May 14, 2014 15:25:00

bhommels
Profile   Send e-mail  

Data submission date

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the clarification, glad to hear there is ample opportunity for late submitters to get their data analyzed. No worries about restricted website access for a few days when the month rolls over I can live with - no need to install expensive ‘big iron’ just for that (unless solar powered). Regards, Bart

Edited bhommels (May 14, 2014 15:25:00)

#4 May 18, 2014 08:29:00

rogerhoward
Profile   E-mail  

Data submission date

Not realising that revisions are made, I've been recording my microgen-calculated performance ratios as soon as they are published.

From the latest spreadsheet I see that, from November backwards, performance ratios have been recalculated. In my case they are lower by between 17-21% !

Would it be an idea to update the FAQ to explain what is done by way of revisions? I'm none too sure what to make of my figures.

Economy 10 tariff provides 6.9p/kWh off-peak import between 12am-5am, 1pm-4pm and 8pm-10pm; http://www.pvoutput.org/aggregate.jsp?id=21047&sid=18934&v=2&t=m on approx. 63% off-peak usage, 22% solar usage, and 15% peak-rate usage.
1,900kWh annually is exported, mostly in summer, on approx. 3,200kWh generation. Approx. 4,500kWh/year is imported, mostly for (a) winter and springtime off-peak Storage Heaters, and (b) off-peak hot water Immersion heating (which is “dumb”, i.e. not linked to the solar PV).
PV array is split East-West. Income is from Phase II 21p/kWh Feed-in-Tariff plus smart metered 3.2p/kWh Export Tariff.

Edited rogerhoward (May 18, 2014 08:29:00)

#5 May 27, 2014 15:35:00

Jamie
Profile   Send e-mail  

Data submission date

Hi Roger,

Apologies for the slow response, i've only just stumbled upon this post (must've missed the email notification).

Firstly, it's worth noting that when the analysis is re-run after the original results are published, I don't tend to update the spreadsheet, only the maps, since updating the spreadsheet repeatedly each month is too time consuming. Effectively, once the spreadsheet report is uploaded it becomes static. An exception to this is if I were to discover a bug or mistake in the analysis scripts, in which case I would refresh all of the data in the latest month's spreadsheet.

The analysis is under continuous development, particularly so since January when responsibilty for development/maintenance of the scripts was taken over by myself and Julian (see this thread). As such, we regularly make changes (improvements… hopefully) to the algorithms which result in different analysis results.

Recently, Julian's efforts have been focused on improving the accuracy of the analysis when dealing with East/West facing arrays, since this is a known weakness in the current algorithm. This will of course affect your installation's results so it's likely they'll change again in the near future.

If you're keen to make use of your results outside of the site I'd recommend downloading them using the ‘Download my Report’ button on the My PV page as opposed to from the spreadsheet report. Clicking this button will always download the latest analysis results directly from the database and so the results will always reflect any changes made to the algorithms we use. You could go a step further to automate the process by using Excel's ‘import data’ tools to reference a the ‘my-report.csv’ file that is downloaded when you click ‘Download my Report’ - this way all you'd need to do is periodically download your report and overwrite the previous file.

If you think it'd be helpful and/or of interest, I could start a new thread in the forum to document any changes made to the analysis scripts such that you're aware when somethings changed our end?

Kind Regards

Jamie (SSF Team)

Edited Jamie (May 27, 2014 15:35:00)

#6 June 8, 2014 13:56:00

rogerhoward
Profile   E-mail  

Data submission date

Thanks for all that Jamie.

Interesting information for us there, and well done to Julian and your good self for these algorithm upgrades and retrospective improvements to the accuracy our results (even if I'm a tad mortified by my ‘improved’ result!).

I know that in this town most PV installations are not south-facing, so potentially there might be a fair few Microgen folks affected by these retrospective recalculations. Hence I think it would indeed be useful to have a newsletter and/or forum mention for something affecting our results like this - plus that it's an achievement of yours that should be marked with a mention!

Economy 10 tariff provides 6.9p/kWh off-peak import between 12am-5am, 1pm-4pm and 8pm-10pm; http://www.pvoutput.org/aggregate.jsp?id=21047&sid=18934&v=2&t=m on approx. 63% off-peak usage, 22% solar usage, and 15% peak-rate usage.
1,900kWh annually is exported, mostly in summer, on approx. 3,200kWh generation. Approx. 4,500kWh/year is imported, mostly for (a) winter and springtime off-peak Storage Heaters, and (b) off-peak hot water Immersion heating (which is “dumb”, i.e. not linked to the solar PV).
PV array is split East-West. Income is from Phase II 21p/kWh Feed-in-Tariff plus smart metered 3.2p/kWh Export Tariff.

Edited rogerhoward (June 8, 2014 13:56:00)

#7 June 16, 2014 14:08:00

Jamie
Profile   Send e-mail  

Data submission date

I'll post details of any modifications/improvements made to the analysis in this thread, as well as mentioning them in the newsletter so that you get a heads up.

I'm currently in the process of analysing the impact of switching to the new method alluded to above which should offer some improvements in accuracy, particularly when analysing EW systems - Danielle will post some graphs in this thread shortly. Once we've made a decision as to whether to switch to this new method, i'll also post a link to the report i'm currently writing which details what's different and what impact it'll have on the PR calculation.

Thanks

Jamie (SSF Team)

Edited Jamie (June 16, 2014 14:08:00)

#8 Nov. 12, 2014 12:58:00

rogerhoward
Profile   E-mail  

Data submission date

Unless I'm either mistaken or have inadvertantly changed my ‘subscribe’ settings, we are no longer getting email notifications of Forum postings. The forum certainly seems to have gone very quiet in recent months - coincidentally?

Edited rogerhoward (Nov. 12, 2014 12:58:00)

#9 Nov. 12, 2014 13:13:00

rogerhoward
Profile   E-mail  

Data submission date

Please ignore- it must have been me! I've just received the email notification of my post.

Edited rogerhoward (Nov. 12, 2014 13:13:00)

Board footer

Moderator control