Search - User list
Full Version: Robin's Mk2 Energy Bucket - or similar
Root » Optimising usage » Robin's Mk2 Energy Bucket - or similar
Britta

Hi

I am currently investigating DIY devices such as Robin's Mk2 Energy Bucket / power router. I know from reading through other threads that there are forum users who have experience of building and using devices like this one, and I am hoping I could get you to share your experiences and if possible even some pics?

It doesn't have to be Robin's particularly, any experiences of building - or even failing to build - devices that divert surplus power to immersion heaters or even storage devices if anybody has any good or bad experiences of designing/building anything like that?

Thanks

Britta

ps. for people who might not have come across the marvellous Robin'r Mk2, there is a lot of information here http://www.talkingsolar.co.uk/index.php/robin-s-mk-2-energy-bucket

chassyh

Hi

I've been using a Robin's Mk 2 for nearly 12 months now, with great results.  All my data is on the Talking Solar website, as is a photograph of my installation.

The photograph can be found on the forum part of the site, navigate via the index tab to the main forum = Other Threads = Hot Water then to page 2 of that topic. My installation picture is post #1074.

My data, including how much I have managed to divert using Robin's system can be found following this path :-

Index tab = Main Forum = Members Generation Figures =Members Monthly Generation.  My data is at the top of page 2, my user name is Chassyh.

Although I would love to say that I had constructed the device myself, it was done by a third party.

Regards

Chas

JGS

I have used Robin's Mk2pvrouter for just over 14 months. I also have a friend who has just installed one. Both of us think this is the way to go. I am quite surprised by how much electricity I export. It is far more than half of what I generate and to maximise my financial return I need to use more of it.

Building the Mk2 was not a huge problem. Assembling the hardware is relatively easy if you have some experience of building electronics. You also need to become familiar with installing the firmware on an Arduino (which is the heart of the system).

Whenever I had problems I e-mailed Robin Emley on the Open Energy Forum web page and he was always very helpful.

My advice is to go for it. If you feel that do-it-yourself is too difficult then Robin now sells assembled systems at very reasonable prices.

bhommels

Good to see more people enthousiastic about their solar diverters. A full year's worth of data on my electricity usage can be looked at here: http://tinyurl.com/q5jjzpc

Our PV array has SSE orientation, 42 deg inclination, and is rated 2.88 kWp.

Simon_k
Hi Britta,

We are just coming up to the second anniversary of our install. Last year we used a ‘yellow brick’ 115v building site transformer to divert, but clouds drove the wife made (on - off -on etc).

I have now built and had installed a Mk2 Router and there is no going back. Put simply, why would you have solar without one (if you CAN heat your water, that is).

Through the winter we have managed a ‘free’ bath at least ever two days, even then the thermostat cuts out around lunch-time.

Gas usage per month in the summer (yellow brick) was limited to 0.78p per month, until SP cottoned on and charged per day as well!
BackYardSolar
Hi Britta,

September 12th 2015 was the 3rd anniversary of the installation of my Robin's Mk2 mini. I never upgraded to any of the later versions as the mini was just fine for me.

I did have a more complicated installation as I have Eco 7 with an afternoon boost which I had to work around to stop heating the water from both at the same time. I fitted a series of relays to change over from mains to solar whenever the solar was going spare. I also added an extra relay to change over to a night storage heater if the water was hot.

I am all electric so I have a good opportunity to use as much solar as I can to heat the water.

So for the last three years of using Robin's Mk2 I have diverted 4.25 MWh of power. I know this as I installed a kWh meter in the consumer unit I build Robins Mk2 in.

Because I get off peak electricity at 6p kWh that is a saving of £250, so far.

Thank you Robin Emery for sharing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.