#1 Sept. 15, 2015 20:49:37

Gary
Profile   Send e-mail  

Solar-friendly Home Appliances

If you have an immerSUN or any other diverter with a second output, you can plug you kettle, toaster or whatever resistive load in. I tried this the other day. Bit fiddly but worked. Just took 5 minutes to boil 1 mug of tea at 150W or so but it was a bad day for solar. Still, better than the straight 1kW kettle eating leccy from the grid, if you have the time….

#2 Sept. 30, 2015 16:00:43

SolarDave
Profile   Send e-mail  

Wow! Thanks for sharing this with us Gary - I've just used my Immersun with my toaster plugged in to make our first Solar-powered slices of toast! it worked! Toast for free! not a penny used! I must try my kettle too for a cup of brew!

#3 Sept. 30, 2015 16:13:24

SolarDave
Profile   Send e-mail  

I cannot believe it - I filled our 1kw kettle up, plugged it into the Immersun and it is now heating away, from using the excess solar panel energy! the input is varying, as the sun is going down, but the Immersun is keeping up , with the kettle, so I am not drawing anything from the mains electric! Its currently at 600w at 5pm - so a free, non-mains fed - solar-powered mug of tea! wow! what other uses could they be to get my electric bill even lower! Thanks Gary for the tip!

#4 Oct. 8, 2015 12:31:58

morrisok
Profile   Send e-mail  

I've done the same with my kettle, a 2.5kw kettle but it is only allowed to draw what it can so its still free, just can't see the wife carrying the kettle into the hallway to make a cup of tea.

Kevin

URN 131, 3.92KWp 12x 327W E20 SunPower panels Sunnyboy 4000 inverter, facing ~south, no shading issues. Location: Sussex, http://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=12216

#5 Oct. 8, 2015 19:26:21

Gary
Profile   Send e-mail  

It's also a bit fiddly if the immersion heater is on the primary output and still heating. You can switch it all around but a bit fiddly.

#6 Nov. 22, 2015 17:32:29

vince31
Profile   Send e-mail  

The Owl Intuition PV monitor system can give you real time Generation, Consumption and Export readouts direct to your smartphone or computer. It also has a data output which you could use to drive an external system to intelligently control your devices on/off depending on the surplus being generated. I'm currently looking at doing this with a Raspberry Pi and remote controlled mains sockets from Maplin.

Board footer

Moderator control