#1 Aug. 3, 2015 08:48:26

SolarDave
Profile   Send e-mail  

Hot Water Temperatures

central heating pumps:
saw this article on the thinking behind the CO2 reduction required by manufacturers of such pumps since 2015.

Minimum efficiency requirements
In July 2009 the ecodesign regulation ‘for glandless standalone circulators and glandless
circulators integrated in products’ was adopted. It will become effective in January 2013,
when glandless standalone circulators will need to have an Energy Efficiency Index (EEI) of
not more than 0.27. Tier 2 will become effective in January 2015: then all circulators
(standalone and integrated) will need to have an EEI of 0.23 or less. This means that from
2015 only variable speed circulators with a permanent-magnet motor are allowed on the
market.
see link
http://www.topten.eu/uploads/File/Recommendations%20Circulation%20Pumps%20March%2011.pdf
so if you need to upgrade your centralheating pump, then it will also lead to a significant reduction in the electricity used by the new pump when it is on stand-by and when operational.
Hope this helps.

#2 Aug. 3, 2015 10:23:17

rogerhoward
Profile   E-mail  

Hot Water Temperatures

I doubt the claims of CHOPCLOC, Groundhogdog, if only because this is what the modulation of a proper condensing boiler is designed to achieve anyway for optimising gas boiler efficiency (i.e. gas usage). More importantly, what you most want to avoid - both for gas efficiency/usage and thermal comfort - is overheating of your CH water leading to wild gyrations of room temperatures from cold to too hot. And I suspect that this would/will be the effect of CHOPCLOC in the coldest winter snaps.
Best to simply keep the home's thermostat to the desired temperature (with radiator TVR variations if you've got TVRs) and set the boiler temperature as low as your external insulation allows in order to achieve the home's set temperature - as recommended. Is your boiler not modulating down far enough for the boiler to condense? (If so, how do you know?)

Economy 10 tariff provides 6.9p/kWh off-peak import between 12am-5am, 1pm-4pm and 8pm-10pm; http://www.pvoutput.org/aggregate.jsp?id=21047&sid=18934&v=2&t=m on approx. 63% off-peak usage, 22% solar usage, and 15% peak-rate usage.
1,900kWh annually is exported, mostly in summer, on approx. 3,200kWh generation. Approx. 4,500kWh/year is imported, mostly for (a) winter and springtime off-peak Storage Heaters, and (b) off-peak hot water Immersion heating (which is “dumb”, i.e. not linked to the solar PV).
PV array is split East-West. Income is from Phase II 21p/kWh Feed-in-Tariff plus smart metered 3.2p/kWh Export Tariff.

Edited rogerhoward (Aug. 3, 2015 11:06:26)

#3 Aug. 5, 2015 18:00:43

Groundhogdog
Profile   Send e-mail  

Hot Water Temperatures

Hi Roger

CHOPCLOC

Many thanks for your comments I am no expert but I do a lot of research and I investigate anything before I buy and compare it against other opportunities. I have my doubts too about the ChopCloc and I will not know the answer until around April 2016 when I have run the Chopcloc for its first winter. In terms of cost it is about as cheap a piece of equipment that you can buy so perhaps worth a punt.

ChopCloc trialled the ChopCloc in a hundred homes for six months before they put it on the market so the results might prove interesting although it is scant on actual detail. Here is a link to the independent research company who undertook the research on ChopCloc's behalf:
http://www.swift-research.co.uk/caseStudies/chopcloc.pdf

INSULATION

You might be interested in the insulation I used when we restructured the house. Despite all that I have put forward insulation is the key to energy savings. We used a foam spray called Icynene and so far I am very please with the results, it probably halved our GAS usage overnight:
http://www.icynene.com/en-us

The house was very cold as there was little insulation and lots of draughts which left dust marks on the edges of the carpets. I spent a lot of time convincing both the Builder who wanted to use Celotex or Kingspan which would have involved a week of cutting and fitting, and also Building Control who had not come across this material before. Icynene is not as thermally efficient as the aforementioned products but it prevents cold bridging which is only just been properly recognised as an issue in the UK. As it was the house was sealed from front to back, from wall plate to roof ridge to wall plate, in around half a day.

Kind regards

Dave Worley
280 Mountnessing Road
Billericay
Essex
CM12 0EP

Board footer

Moderator control