Poll

Voltage Optimisers

•  
    0 votes (0.0%) for: Has anyone else had experience in the installation of voltage optimisers like matt:E. Do they work and give a better inverter performance or is it just an £800 gimmic

#1 Oct. 13, 2017 11:49:31

BackYardSolar
Profile   Send e-mail  

Voltage Optimisers

Hi NoellEagen,

Welcome. You are correct any pure resistive load has to obey Ohm's law, so an optimiser is a waste of time and money.

The amount of time you have a motor running is so small, a voltage optimiser would never pay for its self and is only another thing to go wrong.

Voltage optimisers are a waste of money in a residential environment but could be worth while in a commercial environment.

Don't waste your money. Thats my advise.

SolarEdge SE4000 inverter, 16 x Romag powerglaz 235W panels. South facing at 30 degree angle in Surrey just East of Gatwick and under the flight path.

#2 Oct. 14, 2017 17:20:40

pnews99@hotmail.co.uk
Profile   Send e-mail  

Voltage Optimisers

well back yard i was given one to try before i had pv and it resulted in a 7 per cent drop in electricity usage obviously since then with panels my bills are so low anyway , but if you can fit one cheaply Evan for domestic use they can save you money.

#3 Oct. 16, 2017 11:07:15

bhommels
Profile   Send e-mail  

Voltage Optimisers

That sounds much better than I was expecting. How long did you use it, and how long did you monitor your usage for? Do you have any more details about your home setup, what you have running continuously for example?
Many thanks, Bart

#4 Oct. 16, 2017 18:40:48

BackYardSolar
Profile   Send e-mail  

Voltage Optimisers

I was going to ask that question, but I didn't want to get into “How did you arrive at 7%”.

You would have to have collected a lot of pre-optimizer data to make any comparison. Also you have recently had PV installed, so that would have complicated any comparisons considerably.

Also have you replaced any electrical appliances, LED's etc, recently for a more economical one?

I honestly believe it to be virtually impossible to make any accurate measurements unless you were running two identical systems in parallel for a very long time.

I have worked in the electrical industry all my life, Cable & Wireless, GEC telecoms, National Grid and Network Rail. I was a working electrician for many years and obtained a HNC in Electronics while working for National Grid. I just can't see how a device that is basically a voltage reducer/power factor corrector can save you any serious money in a residential environment.

Fitting a solar diverter to heat up your hot water or a night storage heater would save you more.

Sorry I just don't see it.

SolarEdge SE4000 inverter, 16 x Romag powerglaz 235W panels. South facing at 30 degree angle in Surrey just East of Gatwick and under the flight path.

#5 Oct. 16, 2017 19:40:50

pnews99@hotmail.co.uk
Profile   Send e-mail  

Voltage Optimisers

This was the year before I had pv fitted,so yes I have only one years data where there was no other changes ,water was not heated by gas for that year but have now fitted diverter for radiator and water.
cfls changed to leds and all reasonable insulation done . appliances upgraded and use of a low wattage insulated kettle
With out going to a battery unit i can see no other changes which would lower power use and be financially viable
Though can only state the figures i got .I will let you argue with companies like mt

http://www.marshall-tufflex.com/pdfs/Voltage%20optimisation%20brochure%20-%20EY138.pdf
but remain open to any other ideas you can give me.

#6 Oct. 17, 2017 16:05:30

BackYardSolar
Profile   Send e-mail  

Voltage Optimisers

This is my last post on this subject, as I don't want to get into a back and forth debate. You have been mislead by Marshall-Tufflex big time.

I only needed to read page 4 to see their con. Page four “The science explained” gives an example of Ohm's law based on a typical 240V supply compared to an optimised 220V supply reducing energy used by 17.4%. I agree if you drop the voltage you will use less power. The con is this, if you need 5kWh to heat your water each day, then you need 5kWh of power.

So using their example of a 20 ohm load on a normal 242V supply = 2982W power, so heating 5kW of water is 5000W/2928W = 1.708Hrs to heat the water.

Using an optimised supply of 220V on the same load is 2420W power, so heating 5kW of water is 5000W/2420W = 2.066Hrs to heat the water. So you use less power but it takes longer the result is the same 5kWh of energy to pay for.

You cannot escape the fact that you need 5kWh of energy to heat the water. So you save nothing at all it is a lie and a con.

I am sorry if you can't see the lie.

Board footer

Moderator control