#1 Sept. 11, 2017 08:05:19

steve_mas@btinternet.com
Profile   Send e-mail  

Lightening

Can anyone tell me if a lightening FLASH (not strike) could trip my PV panel connection protection? I have been away for 3 weeks and returned to discover that I had lost at least 2 weeks generation. The only explanation that could be relevant was that there had been a thunderstorm. There had been a power cut in the house as well.

#2 Sept. 11, 2017 09:49:45

WendyNorthrop
Profile   Send e-mail  

Lightening

In six years of operation through numerous thunderstorms including overhead lightning: our system has never been automatically isolated…

#3 Sept. 14, 2017 07:53:26

steve_mas@btinternet.com
Profile   Send e-mail  

Lightening

Thank you. The mystery continues. None of the neighbours admit to a power cut even!

#4 Sept. 22, 2017 11:18:56

SteveRogers
Profile   Send e-mail  

Lightening

I've had two failures due to thunderstorms. The first on 27 May this year caused a power failure to the house so the inverter was shut down with everything else. The second (on 20 June this year) just stopped the inverter as far as I'm aware but there may have been a momentary power cut to the rest of the house. It makes sense that a sudden surge will trigger some sort of circuit protection in the inverter.

In both cases I had to do a manual restart but I think that was because of an earthing fault on the system in wet weather which I now seem to have fixed. One of the DC connectors was getting wet and giving an earth leakage detected by the inverter at startup (isolation resistance).

Steve

Board footer

Moderator control