#1 Nov. 8, 2017 11:54:33

rogerhoward
Profile   E-mail  

Ofgem changes to grid standing charge

Are solar households about to be penalised under Ofgem's intended changes to our ‘standing charge’?
See the favoured ‘Capacity basis’ described at https://www.solarpowerportal.co.uk/news/solar_households_could_be_hit_by_radical_changes_to_network_costs?utm_source=rss-feeds&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=general

Economy 10 tariff provides 6.9p/kWh off-peak import between 12am-5am, 1pm-4pm and 8pm-10pm; http://www.pvoutput.org/aggregate.jsp?id=21047&sid=18934&v=2&t=m on approx. 65% off-peak usage, 21% solar usage, and 14% peak-rate usage.
1,900kWh annually is exported, mostly in summer, on approx. 3,200kWh generation. Approx. 4,800kWh/year is imported, mostly for (a) winter and springtime off-peak Storage Heaters, and (b) off-peak hot water Immersion heating (which is “dumb”, i.e. not linked to the solar PV).
PV array is split East-West, and income is from Phase II 21p/kWh Feed-in-Tariff plus smart metered 3.2p/kWh Export Tariff.

#2 Nov. 20, 2017 17:59:43

SteveRogers
Profile   Send e-mail  

I don't understand the jargon in that article. Can you translate, Roger?

Steve
URN 215

#3 Dec. 5, 2017 20:58:53

ShropshireLad
Profile   Send e-mail  

I don't understand the jargon in Roger Howard's post either, but I think I understand what he was getting at.

I believe OFGEM is currently in consultation (with whom I don't know) about the future of the FIT system. It appears that OFGEM is claiming that households who have PV panels are not paying a fair contribution to the use, and therefore maintenance of, the National Grid, and that we should therefore somehow be financially penalised, probably by a surcharge.

This is a barmy attitude to take, as surely the whole idea of having PV panels is to reduce demand on power stations and this was encouraged by the Government. I have a bigger than average house, and still pay more on my electric utility bill than the man up the road who lives in a bungalow and spends most of his day away from home. Surely he is contributing less towards the National Grid than I am, so why isn't OFGEM considering getting him to pay more?

My children left home a few years ago, and not only has my power consumption reduced, but so has my water bill; should I be now charged more because I am contributing less towards maintenance of the water mains?

I have just changed my 20 year old gas fired central heating boiler for a modern A rated condensing boiler (as recommended by the Government), so expect my gas bills to reduce quite considerably. Will I now be penalized for not paying as much as before for the gas mains?

Board footer

Moderator control