September 2015 Quarterly Report

September 2015 Quarterly Report

Here's the spreadsheet report and regional quarterly yield map for Q3 2015.

Next entry

Previous entry

Related entries

Similar entries

Comments

1. Kevin Prior

Kevin Prior on 13/11/2015 3:31 p.m. #

Just downloaded the spreadsheet and I am being asked for the pssword. Does this mean the report is now restricted? I csnot recall being asked for a pasword before, any way I do not know it! Comments please.

Thackie URN 6100

2. Jamie Taylor

Jamie Taylor on 13/11/2015 3:34 p.m. #

Hi Kevin,

That's weird, there shouldn't be any form of password protection on there. I just downloaded it myself and it didn't prompt for a password. Are you opening in Excel and Excel is asking for a password? Or is it the website prompting for a password?

Cheers

Jamie

3. Kevin Prior

Kevin Prior on 14/11/2015 2:44 p.m. #

Hi Jamie,
    When downloaded to my tablet Excel asks for a password, tried it on a different tablet and the same it asks for a password.
    However download to a laptop or desk top machine and it opens fine.
    So I have got the spreadsheet all ok now.
    Thanks for your efforts
    Kevin

4. Roger Thompson

Roger Thompson on 22/11/2015 7:16 a.m. #

Other than in the context of disputes with the Scottish Independance movement over the division of UK assets (while conveniently ignoring liabilities, ahem!), what other purpose do these regional quarterly yield maps have for us data donors?

It's not as if these Regions show any other significant difference in the yearly averages from their 'norms', is it?

5. Jamie Taylor

Jamie Taylor on 23/11/2015 11:07 a.m. #

Hi Roger,

I hope some Microgen donors find the regional maps interesting in that you can see how well your region faired with respect to others over the last quarter. You can also see what the average was for your region and compare with the generation achieved by your system(s) to see if your system is doing well.

I think they're also potentially interesting for non-donors finding the site as they give some idea of the geographical variability in PV generation, and the typical values of yield that are achievable.

Lastly, I think they make for a nice picture for the reports...

I think they do show different trends to those seen in the yearly averages, which highlights the inconsistency with respect to geography of the weather.

Jamie

6. Steve Rogers

Steve Rogers on 10/01/2016 5:09 p.m. #

I'm beginning to wonder what users get back for donating their data these days. Quarterly reports and maps are not very useful for comparing with other users or timely identification of a problem with their system Bring back the monthly reports please. The newsletter seems to have been discontinued. And finally, spam is increasing in the forum which is annoying.
    I realise you guys are busy but I think you risk losing a lot of users/data.

7. Jamie Taylor

Jamie Taylor on 12/01/2016 11:51 a.m. #

Hi Steve,

We switched to quarterly reports instead of monthly as the overhead of producing them every month wasn't sustainable (the process is only partly automated). The idea is that more of the functionality of the spreadsheet report will become available on the website instead, but we have limited resource for web development so it's slow going. Hopefully you can also make use of the Nearest Neighbour feature? Also please be aware that although the spreadsheet report is only produced quarterly, the analysis is still run monthly, so the latest month's report results ought to appear on the maps/nearest neighbour tools shortly after the Met Office release the weather data.

Please bear in mind that we don't receive any funding to administer or develop the MgDB website, though we have tried to apply for some in the past. This means that it's very much a labour of love for us and we cannot commit much time to the development.

It's a similar story with the newsletter - Aldous enjoys producing them but isn't directly funded to do so, so he doesn't always have free time to produce one every month. I'll see if we can get one out together with the next quarterly report (which i'll generate once the Met Office has released December's weather data).

We hadn't spotted the spam on the forum, but it was also reported by another user so we're now addressing it. We put a lot of effort into protecting the site from spam bots, but this latest bout of spam is I think manual i.e. a human is posting it manually. This kind of spam is very difficult to combat, and relies heavily on users reporting the posts, which we now realise they have been (but the notifications to us weren't working). We've improved our system of checking the user reports, so please continue to report it if you spot any spam posts.

Please rest assured we're still very much keen to continually develop and maintain the site but you may have to be patient with us...

Kind regards

Jamie